Friday, May 7, 2010

Chapter 7-Commodity self


I think I agree with the statement by Stuart Ewen. He said in the chapter that commodity self is "the idea that our selves indeed our subjectivities, are mediated and constructed in part through our consumption and use of commodities" (279). What Ewen is saying here is the concept of ideas that everyone sees and how it consumes in our lives. Advertisements are one example. Showing ad's are mostly likly to be music, clothing cosmetic products, cars etc. So the commodity self is more likely to show us on how we feel towards the the Advertise. Advertisements want to get our, us audience an attention on that certain product for us want to buy because of what we express our commodity self idea on if you want to buy the product or not. I use an example that I have of Skechers Ad. This Ad have bunch of style of Skechers shoes everywhere, also have bunch of cute puppies and have the most popular singer, Carrie Underwood in it. The Skechers Ad want the audience to buy the Skechers but I chose this Ad because it seems like to have so many things in it that will make us buy the product. To me, I don't like the shoes but I think I will buy the shoes anyway because one I do love puppies and secondly I LOVE Carrie Underwood. So you doesn't have to like you the product and don't want to buy it but will buy it because of what the Ad have on it. Commodity self to me is more like an idea of seeing an Ad whether you want to buy it or not buy it.

1 comment: